Monday, June 15, 2009

Intro

So, I was told I forgot to introduce myself. Being new to the author side of the blogosphere, it kinda slipped my mind ;) Although, I was born in Iowa, I've grown up here in the Central Park region of North Carolina, living mostly in Stanly county until several years ago, when I moved into the Uwharries in Montgomery county. The ancient mountains(oldest on the east coast) and lakes in this area I've enjoyed for some time, being a lover of the outdoors.

It is because of a desire to preserve and enhance my surroundings that I joined the team at STARworks, to make sustainable biodiesel from waste veggie oil from local sources. I learned about biodiesel several years ago from a friend, Mark Wienand, who had a VW Jetta TDI running on SVO(straight veggie oil) with a GreaseCar conversion kit. I wanted to learn even more, so I took a biofuels class over in Pittsboro led by Rachel and Leif, folks now at Piedmont Biofuels.

All that information percolated in my mind as I continued a career in IT, working in small liberal arts colleges, Pfeiffer and St Andrews, until I read an article about a biodiesel project in Star, which was over a river and through the woods from home -- perfect! The project is funded by a grant from the Biofuels Center of North Carolina and the equipment is being built by the folks over at Piedmont Biofuels. We will be making biodiesel soon, early August if everything goes as planned. Speaking of plans, I need to go work with a plumber and replumb some water lines in the plant and provide a few spigots to our friendly neighborhood gardener, Anne.

1 comment: